Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Grizz and Starting Over

Yay!  I have finally settled the problems that I had posting on this blog site.  Silly me.  The trouble was all caused because I had not updated my browser.  Thank you all for your patience.  Even after I learned what the difficulty was, I then was delayed by being really busy.  Thomas was off work for the past week and our days were filled with fun, and a bit of work. Yesterday, Tom was out hunting and got a nice big Whitetail buck, so we spent the afternoon cutting and wrapping meat.

I am loving my time here.  There is so much to learn and so much to do that excites me!

First, our new pup, named Grizz, is turning out to be a wonderful pup for us.  He has grown up a bit and is now close to 40 lbs at 17 weeks old.  I love to watch Tom and Grizz play together in the evenings.  During the day, Grizz spends his time guarding the front porch and curiously explores small bits of the yard now.  I bring him in occasionally to gain "house skills", but he gets too warm to stay indoors for long.  He is a very smart pup and easy to train.  He has already learned to 'heel' on and off the leash.  He fetches and returns sticks and his ball.  Grizz loves his squeaky ball!  Today we had great fun and exercise when I took him out hiking in the snow.  He's going to be a fine trail companion.


There will be many adventures to share with you about gardening, all the plants and animals I encounter here, and healthy living ideas.  I have long been interested in organic gardening and foraging wild edibles.  There may not be Chamomile planted here yet, but there is a lot of the Pineapple weed, which is a close relative. I made a nice cup of tea with it last night to relax.

I have spent some mornings gathering Stinging Nettle leaves before the snow started. I was vaguely familiar with them in California, but have learned much more of their usefulness. We have a large patch of Nettles in the front yard. I steamed them and put them in the freezer to use like spinach later. They are very healthy, but this nutrition comes at a price. I have been stung on the fingers and hands several times now.  The stinging produces a numbing effect which lasts about 10 hours. There has to be a better way to harvest free healthy vegetables.

It has been very nice to get to see all the gifts from my bridal shower again. Most of my belongings have been boxed up ready for the move to BC ...for the last year.  I still have a lot of organizing to do before I can do some decorating and things will be limited since it is not our own place. But still it is fun to be able to start all over.

No comments:

Post a Comment